Thank you for commenting on the route inventory for the Sombrillo Travel Management Area
- The Friends of the Nambe Badlands does not advocate closing the Sombrillo ACEC to all users.
- We do promote responsible mountain biking as long as the fragile resources in the Sombrillo ACEC can be protected.
- Not all the trails can sustain mountain biking and/or horseback riding.
- We encourage authorized new mountain bike trails to be built on the east side of NM 503, outside the ACEC.
Please stay tuned as the Travel Management Plan process continues.
The Friends of the Nambé Badlands is working with the BLM on getting trail signs to help educate users on the fragility of the Sombrillo ACEC and Nambé Badlands and promote responsible recreation.
We hope signs can be placed as soon as possible to help reduce negative impacts on this beautiful and delicate landscape.
The BLM Taos Office schedule for the Sombrillo Travel Management Plan can be found on the BLM National NEPA Register.
- February 15: Results of route inventory available to the public.
- February-April: Paleontological Survey completed; follow-up cultural survey completed; any additional survey work completed.
- April-May: Route evaluation and alternatives completed; Public Input opportunity.
- June: Draft EA released for public comment.